Friday, June 3, 2011

I am the bread of life


I struggle with bread and other types of grains.  When I am out of control, I am likely eating bread, crackers, chips, pizza, pasta, cookies something to do with a grain.    

Today as I studied John 6, verse 47-51 resonated with me.  Very truly I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life.48 I am the bread of life.49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died.50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which people may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” (TNIV)

These verses show that Jesus is the bread. The Israelites ate manna (bread) and still died.  Jesus is the living bread, sent from our Heavenly Father.  Jesus gave his life so that he could be our eternal bread.  

Something is wrong when I am stuffing myself with worldly breads.  Jesus is what I hunger.  When I am filling myself with earthly food in an unhealthy way, I am avoiding Jesus.  I am not allowing God to fill me.  I am missing-out on the living bread that came down from heaven. 

Lord, help me not to hunger for the bread of the world. Lord, help me to hunger for only you.  Help me to focus on you.   Help me to seek you.  Lord you are my true satisfier.  Thank you for giving us Jesus, our bread of life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment