Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why do I doubt?

Matthew 28:17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.

Imagine the doubt and turmoil the disciples were experiencing after Jesus’ death.   In Matthew 28:10, the first order of business was to have the women remind the disciples to go to Galilee.  When Jesus was last with his disciples, he told them to meet him in Galilee (Matthew 26:32).  On the mountain, Jesus stands before them, the risen Lord.  Matthew 28:17 says, "When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted”. Everything came true. Jesus has risen. He is in Galilee exactly where he said he would be.  In amazement, they worship the risen Lord.  Yet there are still some that doubted.  

Too often, I experience doubt in my life.  Each time, I pray for the doubt to disappear.   I beg, “Lord, please reveal yourself to me”.  Without fail, I sense him: as I read my bible, He provides the exact verse; in a word, I read in devotion; or in a message, I hear from a friend, the radio, during the weekend worship.   Each time he reveals himself, the doubt retreats.

I am not alone.  Some disciples doubted as they stood before the risen Lord. Doubt comes from the enemy.  I combat the doubt by calling on the power of the Lord.   I am the father in the bible exclaiming to Jesus, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”  (Mark 9:24)

The doubt reminds me of my weakness.  I am weak and He is strong.  The Lord said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)

My prayer today:  Forgive me for the times I drag my feet, doubt your purpose, or delay the inevitable.  You are the risen Lord, creator of heaven and earth, beginning and end.  You are the savior of the world.  Help me Lord in my doubt. Help me embrace my weaknesses. Help me to walk in your light always.  Thank you, Lord, for your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment