Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Help there is too much to do

I have always related to Martha’s quandary when I read about Mary and Martha in Luke 10:40.  Recently, I was unsettled in two new ways. Let's look at the verse in The Message:  
Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. “Master, don’t you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand.”  Luke 10:40
Martha was distracted by the work to be done.  Activities in life pull us away from our time with our Lord, competing for our time. Years ago, when I started a quiet time, I did it in my car in the parking lot at work. It was a place I could be free of distractions. Gradually, as I built up a discipline, I moved to my dining room table each morning before work. Now my kids are grown, I converted a room to my study and hide away behind closed doors each morning.  The dirty dishes, laundry, dust on the shelf, trash, and emails each call out as I walk to my study.  I fight to keep distractions from pulling me off course. 
Martha stepped in and interrupted the Lord. Yikes, I can hear myself saying, “Hey Lord, over here, could you send some help with all these things on my to-do list. Tell someone to come lend me a hand.” No wonder I relate to Martha. We both have the audacity to interrupt the Lord and tell him what to do. The Lord gently handles Martha’s interruption (v 41-42) by intimately calling her name out, summarizing the situation: “Martha, dear Martha, you’re fussing far too much and had gotten worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential...” Jesus brought clarity to the situation. He changed Martha’s perspective.
So what about us? If Jesus dropped by your house, what might he say? 
• Stop worrying about tomorrow
• Slow down you are always rushing
• Show me your list, I will help you with your priorities
• Sit down, let’s spend more time together
Did Martha get it or did she go back to the distractions and finish up? Did she immediately fall to the feet of Jesus? My hope is that she chose what was better, spending the rest of the time with Jesus.
Let's flee the distractions and choose the “one thing” that is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment