Wednesday, November 9, 2011

2 Corinthians 1:3-6, Patient endurance starts with distress

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:3-6 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.  For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.  If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 

Observation:  Jesus is the Father of compassion and all comfort.  He comforts us so we can comfort others.  We share in God’s compassion in the same way we share in his sufferings.   The fact that we need comfort during our sufferings produces patient endurance.  Our need for comfort provides for us to rely on Jesus’ compassion during our suffering.  Our suffering and acceptance of Jesus comfort, builds patience and endurance. 
 
Application:  Understand I need to rely on Jesus whenever I am suffering.  I need to reach out to others when they are suffering so that they sense the compassion of Jesus.  I am the hands and feet of Jesus.  Caring for others is part of my process to patient endurance.

Prayer:  Lord, I am sorry for those I do not see.  As I rush through life, I know that I am missing blessings for others that result in a blessing for me.   Lord, You are the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.  Help me to see whom I am to comfort.  Who am I to show compassion?  I am blessed to receive so much from so many.  Help me to see whom I am to bless.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment