Friday, July 1, 2011

Paying Attention to God helps us with our temptations

Scripture. Hebrews 2:1, 18  1 We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Observation. In this chapter of Hebrews, there is much to observe.  In verse 1, we are cautioned to pay careful attention so that we do not drift away. It is so easy to get distracted and not drift away.  Satan is always trying to distract me from my time with the Lord.  Distraction is a temptation.     In the last verse of this chapter, we are reminded that Jesus suffered when he was tempted, so he is able to help me who will be tempted.  When I am distracted from God, my relationship suffers.  Jesus was tempted and was without sin.  Jesus is able to help me with my temptations.

Application.  When I am being tempted, I sense the conviction of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spriit helps me to be aware of the temptation. The temptation is so strong at times; I do feel as if I am suffering.  I want what I cannot have.  I need to lean in on Jesus during these times.  Focus on HIM.  Then I can stand up under the temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Prayer.  Thank you Lord.  You always provide insight to temptation.  The world is full of temptation.  I need you more than I will ever know.  Your faithfulness and love for me is more than I can comprehend.  Lord I know from your word, that no temptation will seize me that is not common to man.  I know that you are faithful and will not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear.  Lord help me to see the way out that you provide.  Help me to remember and know that through you, I can stand up under the temptation. My strength truly is in you Lord.   Amen.

1 comment: