Saturday, July 9, 2011

Perseverance in Faith

Scripture: Hebrews 10: 19-27 19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.  26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Observation:  Three main themes jump out at me.  In verse 19-22, we are told because of the blood of Jesus, we are to change the way we are to act.  Jesus brings new life and we have full assurance from God, we are cleaned.  Verses 23-25 tell us that we need to do this together “Let us”.  Verses 26-27 are convicting.  If we keep on sinning after we know we are not suppose to we are fearful of God’s judgment, worried about the consuming fire.

Application:  As I continually acknowledge Jesus’ sacrifice for me, I need to reach out to others, meet regularly and be unmovable in my conviction towards small group, weekend service, First Place group, and sharing You with others.  I need to be honest about the sins I continue to return to.  I need more sleep, I need to fill out my tracker, I need to work on my spiritual disciplines, and I need to increase my time with God.  I need to strive for balance, spiritual, physical, mental and emotional. 

Prayer:  Lord your patience with me is undeserving.  Help me to see where you want me to change, where you want me to continue, where you want me to stop.  Help me Lord. Show me, teach me, and reveal to me your purpose and direction for my life.  Thank you Lord for the ability to enter your Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus.  Help me to remember that it is only through your grace that I am drawn to You.  Thank you for washing away my sins.  I look forward to the work you have for me.  Help me to focus on you and not the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment