Friday, July 15, 2011

The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts, James 3:1-4

Scripture:  James 3:1-4 
1 Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers and sisters, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.  2 We all stumble in many ways. Those who are never at fault in what they say are perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.  3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal.4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go.5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.

Observation:  Teachers teach with their words using their tongues.  What a teacher says is impactful.  Verse 2 acknowledges that we stumble in many ways.  Those who are not at fault (I believe with reference to their tongue) are perfect and able to keep all of their body in check.   For me, this also applies to what I pass into my mouth over my tongue.  There are times, my tongue so wants to taste something that is unhealthy, excessive, not a blessing to my body.  When I have self-control and do not take in the food or drink that is not a blessing, I am able to keep my whole body in check.  So it is, with the words coming out over my tongue.  I am better at controlling my tongue.  However definitely not perfect.

Application:  The old Helen would want everyone to think I "knew it all".  I am better off once I figured out that God is the only person who "Knows it ALL".  I want to honor God with my words, with my body, with my actions. I need to slow down and think before, I say, act, and for me eat. To honor God with my body, my actions, my food choices, I need to seek guidance from the Holy Spirit who is in me, who I have received from God.

Prayer:  Lord, I am amazed that you care enough about me that you provided the scripture to speak to me, to each of us.  How, do you do that?  Your love for me is more than I can fathom.  I mess up every day, and yet you forgive me.  Lord, you are indescribable when I consider all that you are.  Lord help me to slow down, help me to consider my actions, my words, my food choices, how I spend my time.  I want my time to honor you, to be fruitful for your kingdom.  Lord thank you for more that I can comprehend.  Lord I am amazed by YOU!!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment