Thursday, August 18, 2011

1 John 2:3-6 Obedience shows God that we love Him.

Scripture: 1 John 2:3-6 3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.4 Those who say, “I know him,” but do not do what he commands are liars, and the truth is not in them.5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

Observation:  This sin was regarding loving other believers.  In verse 5, obeying God’s word equals that our love for God is truly complete.  Our obedience to the Word is how we know we are in God.   Jesus is the Word, and we must live in Jesus.

Application: These verses seem so simple and easy.  However continuously living in obedience is harder and harder. There are times I am doing the work, spending time in the Word, striving to listen, and knowing that I am missing something.  I am too busy, the world is pushing in and I am not allowing enough margin to hear so that I can obey.  Next week I am going on Spiritual Retreat.  I have not been in awhile, allowing my schedule to crowd in.  I look forward to what God will reveal to me.  I am looking forward to the time with anticipation.  I recognize it is obedience in taking the time to spend with him that is making me smile.

Prayer:  Lord forgive me for not making the time in my schedule for a spiritual retreat.  Lord you are my Savior and my God.  Lord help me.  Protect me.  I look forward to my time with you.  Lord, I want to hear you and I want to show my love to you by obeying what I hear.  Thank you Lord for loving me and convicting me.   I need to retreat, (away from home in silence) to spend time with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment