Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ezra:3:11-13 God's foundation bring shouts of joy as well as weeping


Scripture: Ezra:3:11-13 11 With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord: "He is good; his love toward Israel endures forever." And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.12 But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy.13 No one could distinguish the sound of the shouts of joy from the sound of weeping, because the people made so much noise. And the sound was heard far away. 

Observation:  When the foundation was laid, there was rejoicing of joy for something new, and sounds of weeping possibly thanksgiving for something that was dear to the people which had been destroyed was rebuilt.   As it is when we are in worship with the Lord.  Many of us are singing for joy for the new heart, new creation we have through Christ.  Others are weeping for the restoration they are receiving and recognition for what was lost and now found.   When there is celebration, often there are shouts of joy and sounds of weeping.  

Application:  Many times I am moved to weeping when I encounter the Holy Spirit.  This happens most frequently for me while I am singing praises to the Lord.  It is often after I have heard the Lord through a sermon, a teaching, through my daily soap.  As much as there is joy in me, there is often weeping.  I need to recognize daily God’s grace and mercy. 

Prayer:  Lord, your grace is enough.  I am easily side tracked.  Help me to stay focused on your mission.  You are the Lord Almighty, Faithful and True.  Help me Lord to recognize the work you have done in my life.  The foundation that has been built.  Help me to build your temple in a way that honors you.  Help me to know when I am not honoring you.  Lord, thank you for my health.  Thank you for bringing First Place to my life to help me with my food addictions.  Thank you for the strength that only comes through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment